Coffee break 2

Here we go again. This time, the coffee break is hosted by Bill Banks who is going to tell us about a relatively unknown episode of late WWII - I certainly didn't know about it.

Bill says:

The last flight of the Luftwaffe

An interesting incident at the end of WW2. The Germans called it Self Sacrifice not Kamlkaze. Full of photographs of the pilots involved and their history, Imagine nibbling away at the tail plane of a B17 with your prop with the tail gunner down below. On EBay £2 to £4 post free or borrow this when we meet again.



Bill

I would like to add my tuppence worth to this by recommending a book that I loved.

Big Week - the biggest air battle of WWII. 

It was to be the battle to end the air war once and for all.

During the third week of February 1944, the combined Allied air forces launched their first-ever round-the-clock bomber offensive against Germany.

The aim was to smash the main factories and production centres of the Luftwaffe and at the same time draw the German fighter force up into the air and into battle.

Big Week is the knife-edge story of bomber against flak gun and fighter, but also, crucially, fighter against fighter. Following the fortunes of pilots and aircrew from both sides, this is a blistering narrative of one of the most critical periods of the entire war. Big Week was the largest air battle ever witnessed, but it has been largely forgotten – until now.

OK. I hope that you enjoyed your coffee. Until next time - when one more of you offers some ideas to keep us busy but to stop us modelling - grin.

1 comment:

  1. I've listens to the audible version of Big Week. It's a brilliant read/listen that I'd encourage everyone to pick up.

    ReplyDelete

June 2023

 Well, I am back at the club after over  6 months away. The meeting was very well attended. When I got there, it didn't look as though I...